Happy Friday! It’s an exciting day around here because I’m taking over the Explore Charleston Instagram for the day! This week, Explore Charleston has dedicated their Instagram to all things wellness in Charleston. They’ve had some incredible people takeover their Instagram so I feel lucky to be included. When Explore Charleston asked me to do the takeover, it got me thinking about what wellness means to me. Of course, nutrition and fitness come to mind but there is so much more that keeps my mind, body, and soul happy and healthy!
After brainstorming, I created a pretty long list and was thrilled to see how many amazing ways there are and how many wonderful practices I do to keep my wellness up. Head over to the Explore Charleston Instagram Story to see photos from my favorite sources of wellness in Charleston and keep reading for some of my ideas on what wellness is below!
What Wellness Means To Me
- Wellness taps into so many different spaces and categories for me (it’s not just fitness!)… a form of wellness my mind and my creative juices can’t live without is reading! I read for about 30 minutes a day and listen to audiobooks!
- For me, wellness means getting outside whenever possible to enjoy the beauty and sunshine of Charleston! Nothing beats neighborhood walks with my dogs.
- Or bike rides through Charleston’s historic streets. It’s one of Edwin’s and my favorite ways to enjoy our city!
- As part of my life, wellness means considering what I fuel my body with… nothing is as delicious as the nutrient-rich food and the yummy health-focused mocktails from Basic Kitchen. For healthier food, I also frequent Butcher & Bee, The Daily, The Harbinger, Clean Juice, Dellz Uptown, Huriyali, and Poke Tea House.
- In January 2019, I started doing acupuncture to target a few things with my body – it was the best wellness gift I gave my body last year. I go to acupuncture at The Healing Gallery and Blue Heron.
- When it comes to fitness, no workout in Charleston embodies wellness quite like The Works! The Works puts a focus on the mind, body, and soul + is an incredible sweat experience. I also love pilates at Longevity Fitness, spin at Revolution, and Yoga at Charleston Power Yoga.
- One of the best things I do for my wellbeing is make time for friends! Strong female friendships are a huge source of positivity in my life. For more on friendship, read these past posts: The Importance of Making Time for Friends as an Adult // How to Keep a Long Distance Friendship // Long Distance Friendship Gifts.
- If I ever feel down, I know wellness is hugely at play with turning my day around. Other than breaking a sweat or getting vitamin d, I turn to my family… aka the greatest source of wellness in my life! I told you it means more to me than fitness!
- I take wellness into consideration with all of my beauty choices. So that’s why I’ll only go to The Water Room for my nail care in Charleston! Expect natural, nontoxic nail care in the chicest salon!
- My wellness beauty choices extend to makeup as well, which is why I choose to wear the southern made brand RMS Beauty.
- As an alternative to scrolling through my phone, I like to put everything down and calm my mind with needlepoint! I’m a frequent visitor of Charleston’s local needlepoint shop, Cabbage Row Shoppe.
- When it comes to a spa day in Charleston, I turn to one of a few wonderful options including Woodhouse Day Spa and the spas at local hotels: The Dewberry, Charleston Place, & The Sanctuary.
- My end all, be all wellness practice is visiting the beach! I don’t think there is anything better than feeling grounded through the sand with sunshine and salt air on my skin… winter, spring, summer, or fall!
Thank you for reading my ideas on wellness! Remember, wellness can really mean whatever you want and need it to mean! I’d love to hear your thoughts… what does wellness mean to you and look like in your life? Leave a comment or head to my Instagram and comment on my post. Cheers to a happy, healthy 2020 everyone!